Pages

Wednesday 1 October 2014

THE HUNGER WINTER

To ease the situation at home, I decided to make for a safe house in the country.  I strapped my kitbag onto my bike and waited for a moonlit night before setting off on my perilous journey.  It was a bit hair-raising, the front tyre sliding all over the place in the snow.    It was not a proper tyre;  it was made from the solid rubber of an old lorry tyre,  held together at the ends by a strong piece of wire.
I pedalled out of town along a minor road, passing the German Military Police Headquarters, on the way.  They were not out and about in the cold and snow, but I could hear them singing as I cycled past.

After going up a small hill, the road intersected with the main road and ran alongside a canal, right opposite the bridge I had to cross.  A sentry came out of his box and shouted “Werda!” meaning who goes there?  At that same moment a German motorcyclist appeared and the sentry turned his attention to him.  I saw my chance and pedalled past at high speed across the bridge.

There was another sentry at the other end of the bridge and he must have thought I had been checked out because he waved and shouted “Gruss Gott”.  He must have been an Austrian conscript and I answered him with the same greeting and cycled on to enter the village of Waddinxveen and then turned right along a dyke.  I reached my destination and slid down the dyke with my bike.

I knocked on the door of a cottage and a big dark shape of a woman let me in; she brought my bike in and then led me up a flight of bare wooden stairs.  She told me so find a place on the floor against the wall.  I wrapped myself in my blanket for warmth but in no time I felt like I was being bitten all over – the place was infested with fleas.

As dawn broke, I noticed several faces peering over the side of a crib and they suddenly jumped out of it and left the room.  Shortly afterwards, the woman appeared from an adjoining room and with her there were three little girls; they also went out of the room.  As it got lighter, I looked at the boys’ crib; it was filled with straw, smelled heavily of urine (they must all have been bed-wetters) and was crawling with fleas – the source of my overnight discomfort.

I made my way downstairs and, as I reached the ground floor, I noticed that the front window was missing and there was snow everywhere.  It was sparsely furnished and had a sideboard with its doors hanging off and clothes hanging out.  I learned that they never washed their clothes but when they could no longer wear them they simply put on new ones. The woman worked for local farmers who all gave her the cast off clothing of their own kids.

I walked along a corridor at the end of which was a scullery, also with a broken window and with snow lying around and piled up against the wall.  I entered the living room, which was full of dirty looking kids, and the eldest boy – whom I called Piet – told me that the large stove was still warm, but they had no more wood.  I told him that we must get more wood or we would all die of hypothermia.

Piet and I went down the meadows and found some deserted trenches, shored up by wood.  We dismantled a substantial amount of it and made four trips each carrying it back to the house.  In no time, the stove was burning again and the room was nice and warm.

Piet’s younger brother had long hair and a filthy face so I decided to spruce him up a bit.  I filled a bucket with snow and heated it over the stove, resulting in half a bucket of warm water.  I cut his hair and thoroughly washed his face; he looked really good and when his mother came home she hardly recognised him!

Piet told me that his Grandparents had a smallholding not far away and he was worried about his Grandfather.  Apparently they had had a blazing row and, in the argument, his Grandmother had lost the sight in one eye.  They never spoke again and he was banished from the house to the barn.  Piet asked me to go with him to check up on his Grandfather.  As we entered the barn, the awful smell hit me; I didn’t need a doctor to tell me that this was the putrescent smell of gangrene. The old man was wrapped in a couple of old coats and his feet were covered in wet sacking.  I told Piet that we had to get his Grandfather to hospital as he was in a very poor state.

We hastened back to the house and I wrote a note asking for urgent help.  I waited on the top of the dyke and several people walked past.  I stopped a young girl and asked if she was going to Gouda; she said that she was and so I asked her if she would deliver the note to the Red Cross Station.  She did deliver it and, the next day, two women arrived with a makeshift stretcher suspended on a frame between bicycle wheels.

We took them to the barn, where they put on masks and lifted the old man onto the stretcher then set off on the long journey back to town.  We heard later that he had had both legs amputated but he had not been strong enough to withstand the shock and he had died.  Piet was very upset at the news.

For all the hardships and lack of hygiene, Piet’s mother managed to get a supply of food from the farmers she worked for and we never went too hungry.

By the beginning of 1945, the bombing of Germany increased and we saw many bombers passing over on their way to deliver their deadly load.  One day, as we were watching the bomber stream, hundreds of them, passing overhead, a man standing near me – probably a Nazi sympathiser shook his fist in the air and said that if he ever got his hands on an Englishman, he would kill him. Little did he know that he was standing next to one!

The time had come for me to return to Gouda, but the Germans were very active in the area and were checking the papers of everyone at the bridge so it was difficult for me.  Piet’s mother was very brave; she got on her bike and did a reconnaissance along the canal.  She returned and told me that she had arranged with a farmer to row me across the canal away from the bridge.  He was brave too as it would probably have meant facing a firing squad if he had been caught with an Englishman in his boat.  So, I made my farewells and Piet Was very sorry to see me go.

Once across the canal, I had no trouble getting to Gouda and, apart from a Group of Germans on the corner of my street who just looked at me, I was home.  My mother was surprised to see me and said that she didn’t know how she was going to feed me. 

The big anthracite stove was gone and in its place was a small, round stove on which was a little pan with a white substance in it.  I asked my Mother what it was and she told me that it was something the Germans had issued and it was even difficult to mix with water.  The bread rations were meagre, the slices of brown bread were very small indeed.

Starvation was taking a hold and Queen Wilhelmina asked Churchill, Montgomery and Eisenhower to do an emergency food drop to the people of Holland.  They were reluctant to do so as the aircraft would have to fly very low indeed.  Eventually, an agreement was made with the Germans, the local commanders agreed not to fire on the aircraft providing they flew along strictly demarcated corridors and were unarmed.  As a result, many tons of food were dropped and the Germans honoured their agreement.  One man was killed after being hit by a container and movement of the food was very slow due to the lack of transport – but it was a beginning.  Operation Manna saved many lives in Holland during those closing days of the war.
©New York Times
2nd May 1945
 
British aircraft delivered 6,680 tons of food to Holland (including Gouda) as part of Operation Manna and the Americans delivered about 4,000 tons as part of Operation Chowhound.  This was almost immediately followed by Operation Faust in which 200 lorries were used to deliver food to Rhenen which was also behind German lines.  The grateful Dutch people spelled out a message in Tulips! which could be read from the air; it said “MANY THANKS”.
 
A typical food drop during Operation Manna
 
Food, Peace, Freedom - a locally produced plaque
Giving thanks for the food drop of Operation Manna
and looking forward to peace - only days away
 

No comments:

Post a Comment